OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION
Aquaculture Boot Camp-2 (ABC-2) prepares participants for fish farming in the Midwest. Students apply for a one-year course that includes classroom and field training paired with mentoring from some of the industry’s top-ranked leaders. Upon graduation, students will have the knowledge and hands-on experience to
successfully operate an aquaculture or aquaponics farm.
The application can be downloaded through the following link.
OHIO AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION
Aquaculture Boot Camp-2: 2018 Class Wants You!
Aquaculture Boot Camp-2 (ABC-2) prepares participants for fish farming in the Midwest. Students apply
for a one-year course that includes classroom and field training paired with mentoring from some of the
industry’s top-ranked leaders. Upon graduation, students will have the knowledge and hands-on experience to successfully operate an aquaculture or aquaponics farm.
The regiment requires applicants to:
• Participate in 12 one-day training exercises held the second Saturday of each month
• Participate in three additional aquaculture workshops throughout the year at various locations
• Attend the Aquaculture Bus Tour of Farms
• Complete homework and study assignments on-line between monthly trainings
Need to knows
• Minimum 16 days of the year will be required for this traning plus travel time to and from workshops
• Most training is on Saturday or Sunday
• The main facility is located at the OSU South Centers Aquaculture Research Center in Piketon, Ohio, and other cooperating aquaculture-related facilities across the state and region
• Instructors represent a wide range:
College and University Educators
Experienced Aquaculture Producers
• Training addresses:
Aquaculture and Aquaponics Production,
Business Planning, Marketing
• No two members of the same immediate family will be selected into the program at the same time
• The cost: the intensive trainings, including lunch, are being offered at no charge
We will accept up to 35 highly motivated new (less than 10 years of farming experience) and beginning fish farmers and aquaponic producers from across Ohio and the Midwest. Students will be actively involved in aquaculture/aquaponics or seriously dedicated to developing skills for entry into the industry.
To be eligible, you must:
• Submit a completed application by October 31, 2017
• If accepted, sign documentation outlining your commitment to attend seminars and workshops
• Be responsible for all expenses (i.e. travel) related to getting to and from the training sessions
The following will be considered in selecting students:
1. Internet access, land, a pilot aquaculture/aquaponics operation, years in production, years obtaining an Ohio Aquaculture Permit, previous workshops attended, and capital available
2. Interest and willingness of the student to commit the necessary time, energy, and finances to the
3. Ability to participate meaningfully in academic seminars, outside reading, written assignments, and through self-expression
4.The applicant will support and abide by all policies, rules and regulations of the ABC-2 program ABC-2
Hanping Wang/Jordan Maxwell
1864 Shyville Road, Piketon, OH 45661
740-289-2071 ext. 124
October 7, 2017: ABC2 Informative Workshop
October 31, 2017: Application deadline
November 15, 2017: Students notified of acceptance
January 13, 2018: First day at OSU South Centers
January 27-28, 2018: Ohio Aquaculture Association
Annual Conference in Columbus, OH
Download Application: go.osu.edu/apply_abc2
CFAES provides research and related educational programs to clientele on a nondiscriminatory basis. For more information: go.osu.edu/cfaesdiversity.
This program was funded by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), under Agreement No. 2016-70017-25377.