Dear Aquaculture Association Leaders and Shakers:
As appropriate please share with your membership or further distribute.
The National Aquaculture Association (NAA) is assisting the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), to organize a conference call for July 17, 2019 starting at 3:00 pm eastern for the purposes of presenting and listening to shrimp farmer input concerning OIE listed or emerging pathogen threats.
The call-in information is: telephone number 888-844-9904 and passcode 6514360#
The proposed agenda for call is:
- Welcome and Introductions for NAA & APHIS
- Overview of OIE and emerging crustacean pathogens
- APHIS response to recent detections of IHHNV
- Industry Q&A/Feedback
APHIS is seeking shrimp farmer input concerning these questions during the conference call:
- Do you have any questions or concerns regarding APHIS’ response to the detection of OIE listed or emerging diseases affecting domestic shrimp production and trade?
- Do you think that the federal government should impose import health requirements for shrimp originating from countries that are not free of OIE listed crustacean diseases?
- If no, do you understand there is a possibility that states and trading partners may impose stricter movement requirements to their state/country and/or limit market access due to the absence of federal import health requirements?
- What role do you see APHIS taking to protect the health of farm raised crustaceans in the U.S.?
If there are questions or comments about this call, please contact Kathleen H. Hartman, Aquaculture Program Leader, USDA APHIS, office 813-671-5230 x119, cell: 813-477-7019 or Kathleen.H.Hartman@usda.gov or the NAA Office at 850-216-2400 or email@example.com.
Paul W. Zajicek, Executive Director
National Aquaculture Association (USA)